2017 HAWK GRAND PRIX : ROAD ATLANTA : APRIL 7-8

All the mind-numbing idle chatter you can handle

2017 HAWK GRAND PRIX : ROAD ATLANTA : APRIL 7-8

Postby RocksteadyRacing » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 am

Thought we should start a discussion, questions, roll call, and otherwise general race banter for this race.

Registration is here: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/EventRequirements.aspx?LMID=3627&eventID=6565&return=/clubs/worldracingleague/register.aspx%3fLMID%3d3632%26EventID%3d6565

Race Supps are here: http://www.racewrl.com/pdfs/PRELIMROADATL.pdf

Who has race Road Atlanta before? Have any advice to offer about the facilities? The traffic? Local places? Can we bring outside fuel?

Nearest Grocery store is ~10 minutes North, and they have 93 octane at their pumps (IIRC). What about parts stores? Where is the nearest Orielly's, Auto Zone, etc? Are they any good?

Any good local restaurants? Any places to avoid?

Oh and Rocksteady will be there in our GP3 #40 Miata. Looking forward to running this track! I have spent hundreds of iRacing hours here. Looking forward to doing it in real life!
#40 GP3 Miata
Rocksteady Racing
RocksteadyRacing

Re: 2017 HAWK GRAND PRIX : ROAD ATLANTA : APRIL 7-8

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm

I've been for a spec miata race and for the Mitty, the facilities are awesome, you can ride all over the inside of the track to see the different turns and how people are running through the corners. I'm not sure what they will allow for the WRL race as far as pit bikes and such, when I went there was a minimum size of somewhere near 150cc for 4 wheelers and such. The track is smooth and pretty easy on tires, I for one can't wait to get back there. I have two drivers that have never been and another driver that is still undecided so I guess I'll have to wait and see how things go. I'll be in there with you in GP3 with my 95 Stingata. There are two paddock areas but I'm guessing we will be just using the one, entrance from the track is at the bridge that crosses to the infield. I may bring my Fantec setup for practice and maybe a little fun times after the race or before :)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Steve

Postby Cnsprcy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 am

In the interest of keeping some momentum and buzz going we will be bringing two Boxsters from Denver. With 11 GP1 cars already registered and us joining it's going to be a great GP1 field. i'm surprised at how few entries there are to date to be honest. Truly a world class track. I know Steve Smith and Brian Griggs with Big Mission are bringing two brand-new 3.2L boxsters from Colorado Springs and they are going to be very fast! John Kerr and Dave Byasee are also bringing a 2.7L boxster from the Springs. I believe all three of those cars will be bringing great support in PCS motorsports of Colorado Springs. Good guys with good cars.

Braselton is only 10 minutes with a ton of restaurants. There are grocery stores etc.. within 10 minutes. There are three auto parts stores within 20 minutes but nothing right next to RA.

Paddock is huge, viewing points are everywhere and good.

Note: and this is a big one. Atlanta is a nightmare traffic city. Prepare for traffic coming from any direction if you're going through or even near Atlanta.
Cnsprcy

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 am

I did find this about motorized vehicles at the track though.

Motorized Vehicle Policy:

The 125cc rule will be enforced by security. Which simply means:

All unlicensed Motorcycles, Scooters, ATV’s, e-bikes and Off Road Vehicles under 125cc will NOT be permitted on the premises. We will provide a secured impound area if needed. This includes pocket rockets and razors.

All unlicensed Motorcycles, Scooters, ATV’s, e-bikes and Off Road Vehicles above 125cc and personal Golf Carts will be permitted to purchase an approved sticker at the security office for $50.00 per event. The appropriate waiver must be signed at the time of purchase.

All licensed vehicles must purchase proper parking sticker before entering the gate. This includes Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks, Vans, and Motorhomes.

Waiver Conditions:
I agree NOT to allow anyone under sixteen (16) years of age or anyone without a valid drivers’ license to operate my non-licensed motorized and or battery operated vehicle.

I understand that Road Atlanta has a “Helmet On” policy for riding Scooters, Motorcycles and ATV’s, e-bikes at all times while in the Infield.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 am

Steve

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:36 pm

We raced there a few years ago with Lemons I believe. It is truly an awesome track.

Can't remember where we stayed last time though. Where's everyone staying? Some place ~$100/night, clean and close by would be ideal.

Can't fricken wait to get back out there!!!

SHOCKED this isn't a sold out event. What the heck is going on? Pretty bummed we are driving 1000 mi ea way to race 6 other GP3 guys.

We are hoping to race the best GP3 the east coast has to offer. Come on East Coasters!
Team Operation
robertm

Postby RocksteadyRacing » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Does anyone know what the paddock situation is? Are the "big boys" going to be in infield pits and we are all outside? Are we all cramming into the outside? Are spots assigned? Covered garages first come or by rent?
#40 GP3 Miata
Rocksteady Racing
RocksteadyRacing

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Something else I was just thinking about. Are we going to be required to run lights? We don't have any on the car currently and hadn't really planned on doing a bunch of work to install a decent set.

Supps doesn't mention anything about it..
Team Operation
robertm

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:01 pm

I asked Joey about the lights and he said it should still be light by the time the race ends. I know we will be moving the clock forward soon so theres an extra hour added. I may still fix the headlights on my car just in case we get some storms or heavy clouds.
Steve

Postby ABR-Glen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Still almost 2 weeks to register before the price goes up, and there will still be people signing up after that.

Great track, wish I could make it down there.
2014 - BIR 12Hr / MAM 15Hr / TWS 9+7
2015 - BIR 8+8 / MAM 9+7 / G'MAN 9+7
2016 - COTA 8+8 / MID-O 8+8 / BIR 8+8 / RPM 8+8 / 24@5280 / COTA 8+8
2017 - RA 8+8 / HPT 8+7 / 24@5280 / BIR 8+7
ABR-Glen

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Got my hot rod on the scales and one of needs to go on a diet ;)
Steve

Postby robertm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:33 am

What's the story on pit bikes out there? I know the RA rules state 125 cc min and helmet required etc. Almost all tracks say this but don't tend to enforce.

If we run around (slowly putter) on a Honda Z50 mini bike are we going to get flack from track officials?

Only reason I ask is I'd rather not lug it all the way there and back in the middle of my trailer if we won't be able to use anyways.

Thanks!
Team Operation
robertm

Postby Joey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:24 pm

robertm wrote:Something else I was just thinking about. Are we going to be required to run lights? We don't have any on the car currently and hadn't really planned on doing a bunch of work to install a decent set.

Supps doesn't mention anything about it..

Going back to the "second full time job" I mentioned in the other thread ;) I'm hoping to have them updated by the end of the week.
League Commissioner
World Racing League is America's Best Endurance Racing Series
Race with the Leader... #RaceWRL
Joey

Postby robertm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

robertm wrote:What's the story on pit bikes out there? I know the RA rules state 125 cc min and helmet required etc. Almost all tracks say this but don't tend to enforce.

If we run around (slowly putter) on a Honda Z50 mini bike are we going to get flack from track officials?

Only reason I ask is I'd rather not lug it all the way there and back in the middle of my trailer if we won't be able to use anyways.

Thanks!

Anybody been out to RA lately that can offer some insight?
Team Operation
robertm

Postby RocksteadyRacing » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 pm

ILoveOffRamps wrote:Does anyone know what the paddock situation is? Are the "big boys" going to be in infield pits and we are all outside? Are we all cramming into the outside? Are spots assigned? Covered garages first come or by rent?

Would also like to know the answers to this.

I don't remember seeing anyone wearing helmets when I was there for the AER weekend, but it was only practice day. I suspect as long as you aren't driving 40 mph in the pits, no one will say anything. Or Notice.
#40 GP3 Miata
Rocksteady Racing
RocksteadyRacing

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Just asked Joey and he said we would be in the 'Pro" Paddock LOL like we know what we're doing. I believe that is infield but am not sure so I guess this really didn't help much :oops:
Steve

Postby robertm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am

Is the 'pro' paddock near or far from the chicken farm?

OMG I was positive there was a field of rotting bodies the last time we were out at RA. One of those 'dirty' little secrets you never hear about when watching races there on TV :o
Team Operation
robertm

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Up to 41 now signed up, now for some smack talking ;)
Steve

Postby red0 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 am

Steve wrote:Up to 41 now signed up, now for some smack talking ;)

ALL YOUR VTECS ARE BELONG TO US.
red0

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 am

Vtecs are for lawn mowers everybody knows VVT is the true way to go ;)
Steve

Postby robertm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am

Holy shit you guys like the Miatas out East - Says the ONE guy not driving a Mazda in GP3!

Hope we aren't bringing a Wusthof chefs knife to a Samurai sword fight :lol:
Team Operation
robertm

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

robertm wrote:Holy shit you guys like the Miatas out East - Says the ONE guy not driving a Mazda in GP3!

Hope we aren't bringing a Wusthof chefs knife to a Samurai sword fight :lol:

There are quite a few of those dirty little beast entered ;) BTW does anybody know how we are working the pit satll assignments? Partner up? So far there are 41 signed up and I don't know if they have 41 pit stalls on the "Pro" side.
Steve

Return to General Discussion