Tires

All the mind-numbing idle chatter you can handle

Re: Tires

Postby Will Nonnamaker » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Friendly input would be that if a rules adjustment were to be considered for limiting the brand of tire to run, then this rule would go into effect in 2018. Many teams may already have their 2017 Tires purchases made for the year.
Will Nonnamaker

Postby red0 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 am

Will Nonnamaker wrote:Friendly input would be that if a rules adjustment were to be considered for limiting the brand of tire to run, then this rule would go into effect in 2018. Many teams may already have their 2017 Tires purchases made for the year.

From what I have seen and heard, the WRL rules team looks at how any rule changes impacts teams and would phase them in accordingly. That being said, I can't agree with you more.
red0

Postby LateBreak » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 am

Yep, any change would have a grace period before implementation, most likely 2018. Any change would be an effort to save people money, so our implementation timeline would play into that as far as not immediately/overnight 'banning' anything that teams may already have purchased based on current rules.

Semi-related, but for mandatory purchases like safety items we also have a policy of announcing them 1 year in advance for similar reasons.
WRL Staff
Elk River, MN
Team Braunschweig Owner/Captain - 1999 Corvette - Detuned for GP1
Team Errora Partner in Crime -95 Aurora GP1
LateBreak

Postby red0 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks Matt, I really like the idea of grace periods before rule changes and it sounds like you guys are doing a good job with that.
red0

Postby Enginerd » Tue May 30, 2017 3:37 pm

TheGECCO wrote:
Enginerd wrote:
CTS482 wrote:I really don't want to engage in a tire changing contest instead of a race. I don't think a spec tire is the way to go because some cars work great on one tire and not on another. My preference would be a rule change to allow changing 1 tire using normal methods so if you need to change a flat you are not harshly penalized. The changing of more than 1 tire in a single stop would have to be done without power tools of any kind, just as a suggestion. I would limit the allowed tools to a jack, breaker bar, and socket. I suppose you could also just have an exemption for flat tires.

That's almost exactly how the current rule reads. Limits you to changing 1 tire at a time, so any tire strategy which involves fast wear and the potential to wear out two tires at the same time would be a very poor one.

4. Tire Changes: Tire changes in the hot pit are restricted as follows. The Chief Steward may waive these
restrictions if weather conditions change during the race (rain):
a. Only one tire tool or one impact wrench allowed in the hot pit
b. Only manually-operated floor jacks may be used
c. Only two wheels may be lifted off the pavement at a time
d. A total of five 5 tires may be in the hot pit at any given time, including tires mounted on the car

You might want to read over the rest of the 2017 rulebook!

You might want to realize that he knows the rules and his suggested change, while minor in wording, would have a very big impact on the time penalty for changing multiple tires.

I see you are correct... I must have just ignored the part about 'no power tools' because it just sounded so ridiculous! I thought WRL was supposed to cater to a more seriously racey crowd than Chump and Lemons... just picture it, a $50,000 pro-shop prepped Porsche Boxter, with 5 x 90mm wheel studs... changing tires on pit lane with a socket wrench! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my defense, the rest of his post was worded in such a way that it seemed like he was unfamiliar with the 2017 rule.
Enginerd

Postby LateBreak » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:38 am

Cervelli's have been running with us since the first couple races of WRL and have always been professional and competitive, possibly the most wins of any team in the whole series. The suggestion may seem silly at face value, but one of our core principals is to keep things affordable.

"Keep racing fun and affordable for the vast majority of enthusiasts who are passionate about the sport"

Considering how many legal tires there are that will last a full day or even a full weekend, it seems reasonable to limit the benefit of tires that will only last 1/2 a day on most cars/tracks. If Chris's suggestion was implemented, you'd be free to change the first tire in full IMSA glory if you wanted to, lug nuts flying through the air as your teammate jumps on the jack with Thunderstruck banging in his head. From there if you couldn't stand the thought of being seen using an X-wrench to change out a corded tire on pit road, it'd simply be up to your choice in tires as there are many that would avoid such utter humiliation by staying intact throughout the race 8-)

If that rule was in place we would also obviously have different allowances for longer races like the 24 where everyone typically needs to change out at least one set.

In any case, we're very much open to ideas/suggestions on this and will keep the conversation going as long as possible while providing as much advance notice as possible before implementing anything.
WRL Staff
Elk River, MN
Team Braunschweig Owner/Captain - 1999 Corvette - Detuned for GP1
Team Errora Partner in Crime -95 Aurora GP1
LateBreak

Postby Joey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Will Nonnamaker wrote:Friendly input would be that if a rules adjustment were to be considered for limiting the brand of tire to run, then this rule would go into effect in 2018. Many teams may already have their 2017 Tires purchases made for the year.

We would never implement a mid-season rule change unless it related to a major safety issue. Example would be something to the effect of- we realized we missed a critical stipulation on fueling that could put someone at risk, we would issue a mid-season update.

Any change that requires, or may require a significant investment in parts, materials or time is typically broadcast at least 12 months in advance. Example might be changing the basic prep rules which would affect classing, or requiring the use of an item (spec tire, fire system, etc)

If we were to decide to limit tire brands, that would be communicated early in the year to take effect in the following year, even before the following year's rules are written and published, so that teams have a chance to adjust. That said, limiting tire brands is at or near the bottom of my list of solutions.
League Commissioner
World Racing League is America's Best Endurance Racing Series
Race with the Leader... #RaceWRL
Joey

Previous

Return to General Discussion