New X2 Transponder won't activate

All the mind-numbing idle chatter you can handle

New X2 Transponder won't activate

Postby BjernOzzie » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

Received our transponder this week and followed the enclosed instructions on how to activate it. It is registered on the MyLaps site, but I have been unable to complete the activation on two different computers. Even downloaded the online manuals for Activation and for the transponder itself, but have been unable to locate an answer to the dilemma.

I have also sent a note to MyLaps Support, but have not received an answer.

Leaving in the morning for Road America.

Any suggestions?
BjernOzzie

Re: New X2 Transponder won't activate

Postby BjernOzzie » Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am

Figured it out. The USB cable that came with the transponder kit was defective. It would allow charging, but did not allow the computer to communicate with the RaceKey.

Bob Clark at Pegasus Racing, who sold me the unit, was helpful, as was John at MyLaps.
BjernOzzie

Postby Joey » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for the info.

Gang, if you buy one of the new X2 units (silver), make sure you have it figured out before you get to the track. Fortunately I had my transponders packed in the Road America gear and was able to help a couple of people out but that will not be the case going forward.

Apparently the instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Make sure it is activated and charged. There are different flash patterns that tell you what's up.

No flash - no power
Fast red flash (2/second I believe) - charged but not activated by MyLaps
Slow red flash (1/second) - charging
Green flash - Active

If the new X2 uses the same flash codes, it will flash green "X" number of times, pause, and repeat. The number of flashes between the pauses is supposedly the number of days that charge is good for. Example, 2 green flashes/pause/2 green/pause means you have about 48 hours.

Note - you cannot charge these weeks before the event, put them to sleep, and expect them to retain the charge. Always charge them on the Wed before the race.

Will add this to the WRL wiki
League Commissioner
World Racing League is America's Best Endurance Racing Series
Race with the Leader... #RaceWRL
Joey

Postby LateBreak » Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 am

The new ones are also slick to hardwire with the racekey inside the car. I have mine right next to the shifter so it's within the driver's view, it flashes LED's when the car is powered on and also each time the loop is crossed. I haven't had issues with it (knock on wood) but I think having it there will be helpful for diagnosis via radio if we ever have problems, as opposed to having to pull in the pits with one of the old units.
WRL Staff
Elk River, MN
Team Braunschweig Owner/Captain - 1999 Corvette - Detuned for GP1
Team Errora Partner in Crime -95 Aurora GP1
LateBreak

Postby RocksteadyRacing » Mon May 15, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm curious where some of us are mounting our transponder and keys. I've got the X2 key under the airbag cover and the transponder is in the passenger wheel well against the frame. Matt's idea of seeing the key flash every time it crosses the loop makes we want to move the key.

Anyone ever have a transponder get damaged by mounting it in the wheel well?

TAG: Transponder Location (for searching posterity)
#40 GP3 Miata
Rocksteady Racing
RocksteadyRacing

Return to General Discussion