Corvette build thread!

Car builds, set up, race craft, safety and rules

Corvette build thread!

Postby Tiptoe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm

As some of you already know our team lost our Camaro at Road America this year.

ZERO ill will towards the WRL or the other racers, it was one of those racing crashes that can happen, luck was not on our side that day.

My driver/childhood friend is out of the hospital and WE have a new car we are building for the WRL, a 1984 Corvette.

Here is the first of many videos on the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dacX79lgZMI&t=198s

and a picture of the car if you don't have time to watch a video:

The car is a crossfire 350 with the Doug Nash 4+3 tranny in it. We are going to AIM for GP2 but we will see. Right now we are elbows deep in gutting the thing to the bone, getting it ready for a cage. As money and time allow we will keep working on it, the plan being to have it ready spring of next year.
Building a racecar...how hard can it be?
Tiptoe

Re: Corvette build thread!

Postby LateBreak » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 am

Awesome, looks like a perfect starting point for a racecar! Sorry to see your car get busted up at RA but glad your buddy is doing better.
WRL Staff
Elk River, MN
Team Braunschweig Owner/Captain - 1999 Corvette - Detuned for GP1
Team Errora Partner in Crime -95 Aurora GP1
LateBreak

Postby Tiptoe » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 am

LateBreak wrote:Awesome, looks like a perfect starting point for a racecar! Sorry to see your car get busted up at RA but glad your buddy is doing better.

I REALLY liked your C5/truck engine combo. As a bowtie guy one could salivate. When it came time to look for a new racer the team in general wanted to try something new. So we started to look at newer Camaros, Firebirds, and we even found a Monza.

When we stumbled on this vette we knew it was the right call. Despite being VERY nasty on the inside and having lots of issues electrically, the stuff we cared about was in great shape, and not a spec of rust under it, tough to find in Wisconsin even with sports cars.

We are gutting the car to the BONE my hope is to get it down to 2700 to there abouts. Put in a lazy truck small block and then profit ;-)
Tiptoe

Postby LateBreak » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks! We've had a ton of fun with that car, it's always served us very well. Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever have any questions, I haven't really dealt with a C4 but can generally get answers from friends who are more familiar if I don't know myself. If you ever have the opportunity to run an LS swap in I can definitely help with that ;) We've had very good luck with dirt-cheap junkyard engines, which is getting less and less doable with the older small blocks.
WRL Staff
Elk River, MN
Team Braunschweig Owner/Captain - 1999 Corvette - Detuned for GP1
Team Errora Partner in Crime -95 Aurora GP1
LateBreak

Postby Tiptoe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Well more junk stripped out of the car. We checked out the engine and it has good oil pressure and compression, 102,000 on the clock, so it SHOULD be good for a race or two while we get the chassis sorted I thinks.

So....for the first race atleast we are going to keep the stock mill in it. In the meantime the engine that WAS in our Camaro is going to get stripped down for a trip to the engine shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGp0Bjh ... e=youtu.be
Tiptoe

Postby Tiptoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:05 pm

So the car has lost a bunch more weight as we keep the stripping process going.

I have heard these cars run hot for the same reason my Camaro did....nose blocks too much air. SO I decided to cut out the front license area to get some more cool air to the radiator.

The engine is a true survivor, we did a leakdown test on it and most of the cylinders have less then 10% leak down on them. So atleast for the first few races we will run it, in the meantime I'll be cooking up something better to replace it with after we get the chassis figured out.

First time EVER racing a car without a stick axle in the back...whole new world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8vUZdsefc&t=34s
Tiptoe

Postby Tiptoe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:11 am

I rebuilt the calipers yesterday. The video doesn't do it justice, the brake fluid was more like pond scum then brake fluid! But after I get all that crap out of it then cleaned up nice. Braided lines from russel, Castrol fluid, and yes...Hawk brake pads. We will see, but that SHOULD do us for getting the car to stop.

We also put the nose back on the car as well, all the lights pulled out of it and the ducts are installed as well.

Next step is to pull out the tranny and see...why its so hard to shift the thing, then its cage time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5a-NB ... e=youtu.be
Tiptoe

Postby Tiptoe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Not much to look at so far...but trust me we have something very cool planned for it when its all done.

Tiptoe

Postby WCCoffey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Looking good! The poorvette has some competition!
WCCoffey

Return to Shop Talk