Thanks for a great Event at Topeka

All out lies about your last or next WRL racing adventure. Post videos, stories and throw down challenges

Thanks for a great Event at Topeka

Postby dvot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Well run event. Only thing that could have made it better was the nice looking silver bmw not making contact with the wall and about 20-25 more cars entered. The gp3 field was just as tough as last year with Fifty Shades running awesome and getting the win on saturday, then having a hub failure on sunday while we were both on the lead lap. The hoser car is going to be very very strong once all the gremlins are worked out as they could plane smoke us lap after lap. We were marginally faster than last year but other cars have picked up a bunch of time. Trying to either run all out on speed and not making two hours on fuel vs running to a pace and making the two hour window sure makes the strategy hard. We three stopped both days but it required fuel savings to make it and we are coming in on fumes. Last year we four stopped the 8 hour race and have put in a ton of effort to try to three stop it. Same result as last year with a win and a second.

Awesome to see the Burnt Ends Team on the podium both days. That team is going to be super strong with a bit more pace and the fuel mileage the 318 teams have is going to be big if they can find some more time out there.

Daniel Vaught
771 White Lightning GP3 Miata
Little Rock, AR
dvot

Re: Thanks for a great Event at Topeka

Postby Joey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 am

Agree on all points.

Everyone has been stepping up their game since we started in 2014. Cars are better, strategies are more important, driving is better. It wasn't bad before, it's just improving year over year.

Clean race, we had some really exciting finished especially Sunday where the GP1 winner was decided by a pass under yellow with less than 30 minutes to go. Sorry guys, but "rules is rules' and after a review of the video the call stands. Still a great effort by the Big Mission and Montgomery Motorsports teams to be on the same lap after 8 hours!

The HPT config was praised by a lot of drivers over the weekend - challenging and fun. Just needed more teams to make that an epic annual event. We'l shoot for a later date next year but with Road America in early May, and summers almost unbearable in Topeka, the window is pretty narrow. Probably late June? Fall is out since BIR is in Sep and Hallett sits in late October. If Jed would get us a July date at BIR we could make some shit happen!
League Commissioner
World Racing League is America's Best Endurance Racing Series
Race with the Leader... #RaceWRL
Joey

Postby dvot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:02 am

Topeka is kinda a diamond in the rough. It really is one of my favorite tracks, just flows perfect, not hard on equipment, good run-off where needed. Just a fun, safe track. Should be 60 cars there every year!
dvot

Postby Buc01 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Topeka 2018 was my first experience driving with team White Lightning! What a fantastic car, crew, and preparation. Daniel prepares a first rate race car and Ian does some real magic with all the telemetry and You Tube live feeds!

I enjoyed the experience tremendously and also got my first WRL win on Sunday! :D

My second year at Topeka and I will be back as many times as possible in the future.

Congrats to team Fifty Shades of Blue on their win Saturday. There were (4) Miatas that were all very close in lap time and fuel usage. Made for some very tight racing with a big emphasis on fuel strategy and reducing the time in the pits. Proper endurance racing.

Would like to do more WRL this season, but will be at Hallett for sure!

Aaron
Buc01

Return to The Race Report